23rd June 2020
Three months on from the start of lockdown, we continue to monitor and closely follow Government and NHS advice.
Unfortunately this means that our Makerspace and Eventspace remain closed, and our groups can’t yet meet.
However, we are now able to welcome members and others for co-working and desk hire, provided that everyone complies with our new Covid-safe processes and procedures.
We’re all looking forward to the day when we can get back to some sort of normality, but until then our primary concern will always be the safety and wellbeing of our members and all the Create Oldham community.
Chair, on behalf of the Board of Directors
18 May 2020
I wrote recently about our decision to close the Create Space on March 23rd, in response to the Prime Minister’s instruction to close businesses and stay at home. In light of further, and somewhat ambiguous, Government guidance, it seems like a good time to have an update.
As a Board of Directors, our paramount concern is for the health and wellbeing of our members, co-workers and visitors. We will not consider re-opening until we are as satisfied as we can be that we can operate in line with the relevant legislation, Government advice and good practice in such a way as to minimise the risk to everyone who comes through our doors.
As a building with diverse and different functions – desk hire, co-working, workshop, events, groups – this is a complex process. We will need to undertake a thorough COVID-19 risk Assessment in respect of all of these activities. The Space will need to be deep cleaned as part of our preparation, and may require some re-configuration. We also have to take into account the progress of the pandemic in our area.
Taking all of this into account, your Directors are agreed that we will not consider re-opening until the Government moves to the next phase of lifting the lockdown, which the Prime Minister has said will be 4th July at the earliest, and only then if we are satisfied that we can re-open safely.
If you have any questions, please contact me or any Director.
Stay safe and well
Robert Cragg, Board Chair
On behalf of the Board of Directors
12 March 2020
The Board of Directors of Create Oldham are closely monitoring the information and advice provided by the Government, the NHS, and other expert agencies.
Our overriding priority is, of course, the health and wellbeing of our members and guests.
We want, as far as we can, to maintain our busy schedule of events and access to the facilities we offer. In doing so, we have a reasonable expectation that individuals will take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing, and will follow advice concerning personal hygiene and what to do if they believe they need to self-isolate or seek medical advice.
Further advice is available on the Oldham Council website:
With that in mind, we will take the following actions:
- Every event or booking will be risk assessed on its merits, in consultation with organisers and hirers. Where we are concerned that participants are at an unacceptable risk with regard to Covid-19 we will, reluctantly, cancel.
- We will provide hand washing and drying materials, and anti-bacterial gel (subject to availability) and encourage people to use them.
- We will ensure that there is regular and thorough cleaning of the building, furniture and equipment, but this is no substitute for regular hand washing.
- We will monitor developments, and discuss them at every Board meeting until the situation has been resolved.
- We will follow any direction or advice from the authorities regarding the need to close the building.
- We will keep members informed of any developments through the newsletter mailing list, social media, and our website createoldham.com
If you have any questions regarding this statement, please contact Create Oldham on [email protected]
On behalf of the Board